Smoke alarm plea after family escapes Mansfield house blaze

Firefighters have stressed the importance of having working smoke alarms after a family escaped a blaze at their Mansfield home.

Monday, 23rd May 2016, 1:34 pm
Updated Monday, 23rd May 2016, 2:38 pm
Stock picture.

Crews from Mansfield and Ashfield were called to the incident on Butler Crescent at 10.20am on Monday.

Station manager John Kitchener, who attended the fire, said: "This incident is a great example of how effective working smoke alarms can be and how vitally important it is that every property has them on each level.

"They provided this family with a very early warning and allowed them to get out, stay out and call us straight away to deal with the fire.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"Not only did this mean there was nobody injured in the fire, it also meant the fire was still in its early stages when the crews arrived."

Firefighters also offered the homeowners fire safety advice.

The blaze started in an upstairs bedroom at the property. It is not immediately clear what caused it.