Smell gas over New Year? Call an engineer

editorial image

If Mansfield and Ashfield residents smell gas during New Year celebrations, they are being urged to call for an engineer.

National Grid is encouraging people to ring the National Gas Emergency Service if they smell gas – even on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day.

During the Christmas and New Year period last year, engineers responded to 187 calls - with many on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. They will be expecting similar numbers this year.

The company is reminding people to make a note of the emergency number and not to hesitate to call it if they have a problem with their gas supply or suffer the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning - headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Faulty or badly maintained gas appliances can leak deadly carbon monoxide (CO) gas, causing death or serious injury. In a recent inspection in the East Midlands it was estimated that one in 10 of gas boilers, cookers and fires were faulty – and potentially lethal.

Some 40 people a year die of carbon monoxide poisoning and a further 4,000 people seek treatment for symptoms of the deadly gas but National Grid has three simple life-saving tips to keep people safe:

A list of Gas Safe Registered engineers, who are qualified to work legally and safely on gas appliances, is available on the website.

Further information about the National Gas Emergency Service, along with advice about gas safety and helpful videos, can be found on at

Or contact the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.