A shocked shopper says she was left ‘horrified’ after finding a decaying moth in a bag of lettuce.
Katie Butler (29) came face to face the critter that had come out of a bag of mixed leaves she had bought from Mansfield’s Oak Tree Lane, Tesco.
It even caused Katie, who is works as a reporter for Chad and is a staunch vegan, to vomit.
She said: “I was half-way through my tea and I thought ‘what is that?’
“I jumped up out of my seat and my stomach turned. I ran over to the sink to threw up. I couldn’t tell you how it made me feel. How could it have got in there?
“Measures need to be made to ensure this doesn’t happened to other people.
“They need to tighten up on their quality control.
“I choose not to eat meat, I don’t want it forcing on me.
“I did take it in to Tesco and they were really helpful.”
The gruesome discovery is not the first time foreign bodies have been found in food bought at a supermarket.
In 2013 a weevil infestation was found in a pack of dry pasta in a Tesco in Dorset
Meanwhile, Chad requested an explanation into how the dead inset came to be in the bag of salad, and a spokesman from Tesco said: “We set ourselves the highest standards for the quality of our produce.
“Given the freshness of our salads this sort thing can happen on very rare occasions.
“Our store team on Oak Tree Lane have apologised to the customer and thanked her for returning the product – we’ll be providing her with an update when we’ve investigated this more fully with our supplier.”