Seven year sentence for Sutton drink-driver who killed mini-bus driver and injured others in smash

Sutton A617 RTC
Sutton A617 RTC
Share this article

A drink driver who killed a minibus driver in a horror crash and caused a passenger to lose an arm, has been jailed for seven years.

Samuel Whyman, 23, was at least double the alcohol limit when he went through a red light at speed at night in Sutton.

His Renault Clio smashed into the 16-seater VW minibus, lifting it into the air and spinning it round up to three times, Nottingham Crown Court heard.

On board were 10 passengers who had been collected just after midnight after finishing a shift at Sports Direct in Shirebrook.

Driver Rafal Zaborowski, 26, who died almost instantly, was described by the judge as a ‘decent, hardworking young man with a wife and three and a half year-old son.’

He had been driving lawfully and carefully on March 26 last year and the traffic lights were in his favour at the junction of the A617 Sherwood Way South and Hamilton Road.

Many of his passengers were injured, with 52-year-old Lidia Polok, in her own words, left a ‘cripple,’ said Judge Michael Stokes, the Recorder of Nottingham.

She suffered broken bones in her skull, damage to her brain and needed a tracheotomy.

Her arms were broken and her left arm had to be amputated below the elbow. ‘She was lucky to be alive,’ said Dawn Pritchard, prosecuting.

The court heard she had brought up three children but now had to rely on help.

Whyman fled the scene but was tracked by the police helicopter and found crouching behind a parked car near his home in Martyn Avenue, Sutton, at 1.30am.

He was covered in blood and had a large wound to the back of his neck.

A blood-alcohol test two and three quarter hours after the crash gave a reading of 141 where the legal limit was 80.

The judge told him: ‘At the time of the collision you must have been at least double the limit for driving.

‘You say you can’t remember where you’d been. You shouldn’t have been driving at all.

‘It was a deliberate decision to ignore the rules of the road.’

Whyman admitted causing death by dangerous driving.

At the time he was on bail for a serious offence of violence, said the judge, for which he was later given a suspended sentence.

He and another man, after drinking heavily, had attacked and injured a man in the street who had made a comment they did not like.

Whyman was disqualified for seven years and will then have to take an extended test.