Royal wedding celebrations

INVITATIONS for the Royal Wedding might have already been sent out, but if you weren’t lucky enough to be on the guest list then why not organise a street party to mark the occasion instead?

Street parties have a long tradition in British culture and Chad wants to hear from residents in Mansfield, Ashfield and Newark and Sherwood who are holding their own event to celebrate the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton on 29th April.

The wedding provides a great excuse for people to do something to bring communities together and encourage neighbours to get to know each other better - especially with the day being made a special bank holiday.

Those planning a street party need to register their event with Nottinghamshire County Council by 31st March for highways reasons.

Co Coun Richard Jackson, transport and highways cabinet member, said: “This gives us an opportunity to ensure that the roads and footpaths will be adequate to host a street party and that the necessary traffic signs and diversion routes will be in place.

“We will be working with our neighbouring councils and other organisations such as the police, fire and rescue, and local hospitals to make celebrations as stress free as possible.”

Registration can be done online at or call the north Highways department on 01623 520739 to discuss your plans.

Small private street parties do not need a licence for alcohol or entertainment, however larger public gatherings will need a Temporary Event Notice licence.

These can be applied for from local district councils.

Specialist website is full of ideas and more information is on

If you are holding a street party or other event to celebrate William and Kate’s wedding, let us know.

Call Helen Beighton on 450303 or send an email to