Council tax rise for Mansfield as part of new budget for the year

Mansfield District Council has agreed its annual budget and medium-term financial strategy.

Tuesday, 2nd February 2021, 9:22 am

The 2021-22 budget, approved by councillors at a full council meeting on January 27, is designed to help the council deliver its future ambitions under the priority areas of aspiration, growth, wellbeing and place.

A total of £830,000 in savings have been made out of a net budget requirement of £10.6 million in order to balance the budget at a time of increased demand on services, combined with a significant reduction in income due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Additional one-off government grants have helped to balance the budget, along with savings from a reduction in the number of printed issues of the council magazine My Mansfield, a reduction in cabinet members and a 2.7 per cent increase in council tax.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A 2.7 per cent council tax rise is part of Mansfield District Council's new budget for the year ahead

The increase means those living in Band A properties will pay a total of £129.81 – just 35p a day for all the services provided by the council.

The council's share of the council tax bill is about 10 per cent with the remaining 90 per cent that residents pay going to Nottinghamshire County Council and other county services, such as the police and fire service.

Coun Andy Abrahams, mayor of Mansfield, said: “It is never an easy decision to raise council tax but this 2.7 per cent increase will bring in an extra £167,000 to help maintain vital council services in the district.

“For the vast majority of our residents, who live in Band A properties, it means they will pay an extra £3.33 for the whole year, equivalent to just over 6p each week.”

Despite funding constraints, the council is committed to starting work on 99 affordable and council homes in the next year, as part of a five-year aspirational target to build more than 200 new council homes in the district by 2023.

The mayor continued: “As well providing much needed affordable homes, the construction of them will help to stimulate the economy at this very difficult time, supporting local businesses and providing work and training opportunities for local people."

Among the items approved by the full council were some increases in fees and charges, mostly in line with inflation.

There was also a 1.7 per cent increase in council home rents, in line with Government guidelines.

Any income from council rent goes towards improving and building council housing within the district.

Coun Craig Whitby, portfolio holder for corporate and finance, said: “We have tried to spread the burden of balancing the budget by making small charges such as some targeted increases in some fees and charges.”

Although the council collects council tax, it does so on behalf of Nottinghamshire County Council, Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner, Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Authority and Warsop Parish Council for Warsop residents.The total bill will be confirmed on March 9 once all the elements are known.

Only 10p in every £1 paid by Mansfield residents comes to the district council – the other 90p goes to the county council and other organisations.

The district council share of the bill, provides residents with a wide range of vital services, including bin emptying, recycling, sweet cleaning, clearing fly-tipping incidents, managing parks and open spaces, helping the homeless and providing 24/7 CCTV to keep the district safe.