PICTURES & VIDEO: Firefighters spend night tackling big blaze

Firefighters tackled a big fire in a Derbyshire village overnight.

The blaze involved 800 tonnes of bailed straw.
The blaze involved 800 tonnes of bailed straw.

The blaze on Whaley Road, Whaley, involved 800 tonnes of bailed straw inside a six-bay Dutch barn.

At one point, crews from Bolsover, Clowne, Shirebrook, Staveley and two appliances from Nottinghamshire were in attendance.

Firefighters were called at around 11pm on Monday.

The blaze was contained by Tuesday morning.

Police also attended the incident.

A Derbyshire Constabulary spokesman said: "It's not yet known what caused the fire.

"A fire investigation will need to be carried out."

The blaze at the barn.

Tracey Dakin, who lives opposite the scene of the blaze, said: "We were woken just before 11pm by a neighbour telling us the stack yard across the road had just gone up in flames and that they'd called the fire brigade.

"Our neighbours have a gas tank in their garden and it was getting hot very quickly causing real concern.

"The fire brigade arrived around 11.20pm and immediately put a hose over the gas tank in order to keep its temperature low.

"The fire hydrant grate in the village and literally opposite the fire was full of soil and therefore initially unusable by the fire brigade.

The aftermath of the fire.

"They therefore had to travel up and down the road to get water supplies from other hydrants.

"Two local men, one of whom is my brother-in-law, used their bare hands to remove the soil in the blocked grate but when the supply became accessible it still wasn't enough so the engines continued in and out of the village all night replenishing water.

"Because of the ferocity of the fire they were unable to even consider putting it out.

"They therefore opted to keep their hoses on surrounding buildings and gas tanks.

The blaze at the barn.

"The fire continued to burn on Tuesday morning and will do so for up to 48 hours according to the firefighters.

"Their trucks and equipment are set up on our driveway and garage forecourt.

"The main road through Whaley has been impassable.

"Telephone lines have melted as have some electrical lines.

"BT have advised they will not come out until the fire is completely extinguished.

"The electricity company came briefly during the night and returned to assess the situation.

The aftermath of the fire.

"Cattle in the adjoining barn are in no danger now.

"Horses in the adjoining barn and fields are in no danger.

"Residents are in no danger and there have been no casualties."