Warning to Ashfield dog owners after cases of infectious parasite that can transfer to humans

Vets4pets, in Sutton-in-Ashfield, has warned dog owners after finding a third case of a highly infectious parasite that can transfer from animals to humans, in a dog.

By Kian Rains
Sunday, 9th August 2020, 8:00 am

The infected dog had been walked near Quarrydale Academy around Carsic, Sutton-in-Ashfield and is the latest case found by the vets.

Giardia is a microscopic parasite that is highly contagious even in small doses and is not prevented by normal worming tablets.

It causes vomiting and diarrhoea, which is said to be "foul-smelling" along with other symptoms including stomach pain, dehydration and weight loss.

Dog owners are being warned after a vets reported a third case of a parasitic infection which can be passed to humans

In dogs, the parasite can be picked up by consuming infected faeces for example if a dog has been eating grass or drinking from puddles where an infected dog has previously defecated.

Giardia can also be contracted if a dog comes into contact with another dog that is infected and may have the parasite on its coat.

Humans can contract the parasite by eating food that has been washed in untreated water or handled by someone with the infection, touching surfaces that have been contaminated by an infected person or by drinking untreated water.

A spokesperson at the surgery, said: “It’s infectious to people too, so make sure you wash your hands regularly, especially before eating and maybe no puppy smooches for a while.”

Vets4pets, Sutton-in-Ashfield.

It can be treated by taking antibiotics for a few days and symptoms should stop after about a week.

To find out more visit www.nhs.uk/conditions/giardiasis or visit www.vets4pets.com.