Stags Fan Blog - The FA Trophy replay against Alfreton

We manage to just about finish off Alfreton Town with a Tuesday night replay at what the home fans called the Impact Arena.

It did make an impact on me that it will need redevelopment if the club wants be promotion to the Blue Square Premier.

They will need to rebuild their ground, especially in the away end with the 869 stags fans that gather in the Alma Street terraces being on top of each other - or that just could have been me, being a big lad.

I stood in shock when I saw Alfreton Town take the lead once more as they had done in the first game I was beginning to think that this was where the Wembley dream was going to end and we would be now rated by some people and a team on the brink which some supporters had said when we drew with them on Saturday at Field Mill.

Again we were not marking up the man with the ball and giving them all the space in the world. At times you could have drove double decker buses through the gaps we were leaving them we had a couple of chances in the first half but that was about it for the Stags. We as supporters and players alike took a deep breath when the referee but an end to what was the torture of a first half for us.

My thoughts went to what I would say to the boys to lift spirits if I could be in there with them in the dressing room I would have told them this is far from over and this was our game to lose and how much do you want this really look inside yourselves and decide what you want to happen and if you want it enough you will get and it will come to you.

I don’t know if Duncan said anything like that in the changing rooms but the Stags came out with a fire in their bellies and look like they wanted it they were marking up the ball carrier and trying to make sure that the back four were locked together which they seemed to be and things were beginning to come together.

They seem to show that to the fans that had made the short trip when Paul Connor brought the scores level just after the hour mark which set up a grandstand finish. Big Duncan then decided we needed fresh legs and brought Louis Moult and replaced him with Keigan Parker which turned out to be the move of century with him scoring the winner with thirteen minutes of the contest left.

The Alfreton fans at this point started to leave the ground like rats jumping from a sinking ship as they had been on the Stags fans backs for the entire game but then left the club when they must needed them. I never leave a match early I always stay to the end even at Grimsby when I felt like I was dying of cold and depression but I would never leave the boys.

The question now is how many supporters will travel to Chasetown because if that many travel as they did last night we would have one of the best away supports in the Blue Square Premier.

I now can’t wait for Saturday night with the visit of Newport County we how need to get our heads back into league mode and get three points taken to get back in and around the play-offs we need to keep the pressure up on the other teams around us because if they slip up we need to punish those mistakes.