Police praise town for reaction and understanding in siege

Hucknall police have praised the efforts of the town and the understanding they showed during last week’s siege incident.

Thursday, 20th March 2014, 1:03 pm

As the town went into lockdown around the High Street, shops were forced to close early, residents were refused access to their homes and Beardall Street Primary delayed pupils’ departure when armed police stormed the area in response to an incident.

But police said the community had rallied round and supported their response in the 10 hour siege which finally ended when armed officers entered the snooker hall at 12.40 on Friday morning using a rubber bullet in arresting the 20 year-old man.

“I want to thank the community for their overwhelming support they showed the police team on Thursday,” said Insp Nick Butler. “It was a very difficult and prolonged situation and I appreciate that many people were inconvenienced by the incident but it was unavoidable.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“Every effort was made to maintain businesses and get everything back to normal at the earliest opportunity.”

The roads were blocked off between Watnall Road and Station Road from 2.20pm on Thursday 13th March when an incident unfolded at the Spot On snooker hall on Vine Terrace.

At first shop staff and customers were told to stay indoors and away from the windows before being escorted to safety beyond the cordon over an hour later.

“Several people went out of their way to provide officers with hot drinks and refreshments,” added Insp Butler. “The chief constable has thanked them personally but I would like to add my thanks to that.”

Ashfield District Council also responded to the situation by making Hucknall Leisure Centre on Linby Road available for residents who were unable to access their homes during the drama.

“We made the leisure centre available for residents evacuated during the police operation,” said a council spokesman. “The centre opened at 5.30pm and remained open until 10.30pm, offering residents a place of safety.

“Council officers and EveryoneActive employees were on hand throughout to offer refreshment and support to the people attending.

“Officers also organised temporary accommodation for 10 evacuated people, along with transport to the accommodation where needed remaining on-site until 10.30pm.”

A 20-year-old man has been charged following the incident at Hucknall’s Spot On snooker hall.

Reece Theison, of no fixed address, has been charged with possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear or violence, theft and criminal damage.

He appeared before Nottingham magistrates on Saturday 15th March and was remanded to appear at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday 31st March.