Nurse struck off after Forest Town nursing home blunder

editorial image

A NURSE who worked at a Forest Town care home has been struck off after failing to get help for an elderly resident who had broken her neck.

Irene Pressley was banned from nursing after the incident at Avalon Care Home when 92-year-old Mary Parkinson had fallen from a wheelchair.

She passed away just a few weeks later.

A four-day hearing was held in Manchester by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), at which the case against Mrs Pressley was proved.

The NMC panel said her conduct “falls seriously short of what is expected of a registered nurse” and that this amounted to “serious misconduct”.

It was heard that on the evening of 5th February, 2010, Mrs Pressley had been the only registered nurse on duty.

She had been pushing Mrs Parkinson in a wheelchair when she fell out onto the floor.

Despite complaining of the pain, she was not given treatment and put to bed.

At 8am the next morning care was handed over to another nurse who checked Mrs Parkinson and called for an ambulance.

An x-ray taken at Kings Mill Hospital revealed she had fractured her neck.

Mrs Pressley was not at the hearing, but an email in mitigation from her husband sent months before stated she believed she had “acted in the best interests” but accepted that the situation could have been avoided had she sought additional medical help.

But this was criticised by the panel who said the email showed no remorse.

They handed her a striking off order saying there could be a real risk of repetition of her misconduct. She can apply to be a nurse again in five years.

Mrs Pressley had already been dismissed by the home in May 2010 after 17 years following an investigation and was unsuccessful in appealing the decision.

Mrs Parkinson passed away on 25th March, weeks after her fall, from bronchopneumonia, atrial fibrillation and old age.

The NMC did not suggest that Mrs Pressley’s actions had led to Mrs Parkinson’s death.

At the time of the incident, Avalon Care Home was under the control of Southern Cross Healthcare, but is now under the ownership of HC-One Ltd.