Notts police reminder about noise complaints

Only ring 999 for noise problems if there is an emergency situation Nottinghamshire police advise.

Thursday, 18th August 2016, 1:21 pm
Updated Thursday, 18th August 2016, 2:24 pm

Each year the force receives thousands of complaints about noise but the force is trying to stop callers tying up the emergency line.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “We ask that you only call Nottinghamshire Police to report a problem with noise if you believe it’s an emergency, a crime taking place, there is a threat to someone’s life or their property or the noise may linked to domestic violence or another violent confrontation.

“In these cases, please call Nottinghamshire Police on the 999 emergency number immediately.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“If you do call Nottinghamshire Police to report a complaint about noise other than in an emergency, we may share your report with the local authority in your area who may decide to look into this further.”

Whether it’s loud music, barking dogs, faulty alarms or noise coming from commercial or industrial premises check out the Nottinghamshire Police website for advice on where to turn to report a problem with noise.

Before making a complaint to your local council the police advise talking to those responsible if you feel comfortable doing soas they may not be aware of the problem and could take steps to address the issue there and then.

For longer-term problems, keep a diary of the issue to help them understand the extent of the problem.

Local councils have more powers than the police to deal with complaints about noise, including reports of: loud music from domestic properties or licensed premises; dogs barking for prolonged periods; faulty burglar alarms or vehicle alarms; noise pollution from commercial, industrial, demolition or construction sites.