Nottinghamshire parents warned about ‘deadly’ flashing Jelly Ring toy

The 'deadly' Jelly Ring toy
The 'deadly' Jelly Ring toy

Parents are being warned about a flashing ‘Jelly Ring’ toy for children that Nottinghamshire County Council’s Trading Standards team fears could be deadly.

The toy is around eight centimetres in diameter and contains flashing lights that are powered by three small batteries, each smaller than a 5p.

There are fears the toy could easily break apart, exposing the small ‘button-sized’ batteries that could be swallowed by a child.

The county council has been alerted by Kent County Council’s Trading Standards following a complaint from a member of the public who had a ring that had split open to reveal the batteries.

It is believed that these toys originate from China but could be on sale in Nottinghamshire.

In October 2014, it was reported that two children who swallowed similar batteries had died and a further five suffered life-changing injuries caused by internal bleeding.

Earlier this month NHS England issued a Patient Safety Alert warning about a risk of death and serious harm from delays in spotting and treating the swallowing of button batteries.

It warns that severe tissue damage results from a build-up of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) as a result of the electrical current discharged from the battery. The sodium hydroxide causes tissue burns, often in the oesophagus, which can result in catastrophic haemorrhage.

Coun Glynn Gilfoyle, chairman of the community safety committee, said: “We want to get an urgent warning out to parents about the dangers that these types of toys pose and advise that they are kept away from children.

“The biggest danger is from the batteries inside them, which can look like sweets to children.

“If you see or have seen these toys on sale in the county we urge you to contact us so we can remove them from the shelves.”

To report any dangerous toys contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 04 05 06.