Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service emphasises the importance of fire safety following inquest

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service is emphasising the importance of fire safety, following an inquest into the death of a Nottinghamshire woman during a fire last November.

Friday, 7th May 2021, 3:38 pm

After a hearing on May 6, Mr Gordon Clow, Assistant Coroner for Nottinghamshire, ruled that Mrs Lynette Shaw, 75, of Costock, Rushcliffe, died from the inhalation of smoke and products of combustion during the fire.

Her husband escaped the fire with minor injuries.

The intense, rapidly spreading fire was discovered at 3.22am on Saturday November 7 and saw Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service fire crews from East Leake, West Bridgford, Highfields, London Road, Mansfield, Castle Donington and Shepshed responding to the fire, with additional fire crews assisting throughout the following days.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mansfield Fire Station.

Returning a verdict of accidental death, Mr Clow said: “The fire was caused either by something capable of igniting a fire being moved from the kitchen to the utility room, where the fire started, while Mrs Shaw was cooking, or a fluorescent electric light in the utility room.”

Mr Clow described the case as ‘a terrible accident and a terrible tragedy’ and thanked the Fire and Police Services for their thorough investigations and close liaison.

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service fire investigator Tom Clark said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Mrs Shaw and, on behalf of NFRS, I offer my sincerest condolences at this time.

"This tragic incident reminds us all of the devastating consequences that a fire can have and I would urge everyone to take a moment to check their own homes.

“We would encourage people to take great care when cooking or using electrical items and to make sure they have a working smoke alarm on each floor of their property.

“We offer free Safe and Well visits to vulnerable people to check all aspects of safety in the home, not just fire safety.

"I would also urge everyone to ensure older relatives and neighbours have the correct fire safety measures in their homes, particularly during this difficult period of isolation in our lives.”

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service also offers the following safety advice to prevent or deal with a fire at your property:

- In the event of a pan fire, extinguish the flames with a damp tea towel, never water, and do not try to carry it outside.

- Ensure you keep your kitchen clean and free of fat, grease, crumbs or unnecessary combustible items.

- Keep tea towels and curtains away from appliances and do not wear loose clothing while cooking – avoid distractions whilst preparing hot meals and, if you need to leave the room, remove pans from the heat.

- Check that cookers and other electrical appliances are switched off when not in use, avoid overloading electrical sockets and do not use appliances with frayed or exposed wires.

- Only buy electrical products with a British or European safety mark and ensure you get your electrics checked every ten years.

- If a fire occurs, get out, stay out and call 999 immediately.

A message from the editor:

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever.

Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper.

We stand together.

Ashley Booker, editor.