NEW WHITTINGTON: Asbestos worry after Stone Lane fire

Asbestos fell onto a play area and land surrounding a building that caught fire on Stone Lane last week.

The blaze, at around 11.50pm on June 25, caused debris from as asbestos cement roof to fall, sparking a clean-up by Chesterfield Borough Council.

The play area has been closed until the damaged netting has been examined and the area made safe, and the council has employed as asbestos specialist to assess the local area for contamination and to advise on removal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Anyone who finds debris in their garden is asked to contact environmental health so that officers can establish the extent of fall-out and co-ordinate removal.

The council have advised that the risk of harm to health from the asbestos is low whilst it remains damp and contained. Officers will continue to monitor the site to ensure it is dealt with appropriately.

Councillor Chris Ludlow, Chesterfield Borough Council’s executive member for environment said: “Our environmental health teams are doing all they can to make the area safe for residents.

Residents who have any concerns should contact the council on 01246 345345.”