‘My life has changed forever’ says victim

Rory Davis who was assaulted at a nightclub at his home in Gleadless, Sheffield.
Rory Davis who was assaulted at a nightclub at his home in Gleadless, Sheffield.

A Ladybrook man who was assaulted outside a Mansfield nightspot during Christmas last year says the head injury he sustained has changed his life forever.

Twenty-one-year-old Rory Davis was in a coma for a week and his parents were told by doctors at the time if their son did not die he would face severe brain damage.

Rory suffered a brain hemorrhage following the incident at After Dark, Leeming Street, in the early hours of 29th December and had two rounds of brain surgery at the Queen’s Medical Centre.

Damage to the 21-year-old’s skull has left his brain perilously exposed to the slightest injury, which has meant moving to Sheffield where family can care for him, and he is now unable to work.

Said Rory: “I am just down all the time now and I cannot really get away from it. It is just there. I cannot do anything because if I hit my head I have an exposed brain.

“I used to be quite an active lad but now I have to walk everywhere and I do not go out at night because if I get into trouble and hit my head I could die.

“I have to live my life very carefully now.”

Rory, who was a call taker for Mansfield’s 652 Taxis, has been left with severe head pains for which he takes the powerful painkiller Tramadol and has lost hearing in his left ear following the head injury.

But a more worrying effect has been the loss of concentration and memory which a has effected his speech and has meant he can no longer enjoy activities such as playing X-Box games.

He is now awaiting an operation to have a titanium plate fixed to his skull to replace the part which is missing.

“I have to start from the beginning again. My girlfriend’s dad had a similar injury - it took him a year to get back to feeling a bit normal,” said Rory.

“The future worries me but I am trying to think positive. I have thought about trying to start my own business when I come out of this - or do something I am really interested in.”

l Two men have been charged with grievous bodily harm in connection with the incident.

George Fesse (25), of Oak Tree Court, Swadlincote, Derbyshire, and Brendan Hardy (39), of The Fieldings, Sutton, have been bailed until their appearance before Mansfield Magistrates on 22nd May.