POLICE say there have been no reported attacks on foreign nationals following pleas from the family of a Forest Town man who died after an alleged street assault.
Relatives of Jonathan Turner issued a statement last week after comments were posted on a Facebook page dedicated to the young dad’s memory.
Among the hundreds of tributes, a minority hinted at planning retaliation, leading to concern from relatives over ‘community tensions’.
In the statement, which was released to the media and posted on the page itself, the family said: “We know some of you have made comments on here about the nationalities of the people who have been arrested by the police in connection with Jonathan’s murder. We also know many people in Mansfield are talking about this.
“We have been made aware of some ill feeling towards the Polish community living in the area since Jonathan’s death.
“We want to let you know that the people questioned by the police investigating Jonathan’s murder are not Polish.
“Despite that, nationality shouldn’t come into this. The most important thing is to let the police do their job and for justice to run its course.
“The last thing we want is for anyone else to suffer as a result of what happened.
“It is clear that you all thought a lot of Jonathan and are shocked and upset by what has happened, but please don’t take your frustrations out on innocent people.
“Your energy would be far better spent remembering Jonathan as the fun-loving, funny and caring person he was.”
A police spokesman said yesterday there had been no reported incidents apparently connected to the comments and no further posts of concern since the statement.
Mr Turner (27) died in hospital on Sunday 8th May after he was allegedly seriously assaulted on Stockwell Gate in Mansfield town centre in the early hours of the previous day.
A post-mortem examination revealed he died from a head injury.
Four men of three different nationalities have since been arrested and charged with his murder.
In the statement, Mr Turner’s family also thanked well-wishers who have flooded the Facebook page with tributes and left dozens of floral tributes on Stockwell Gate where he was found lying injured.
“We are totally overwhelmed by all of your good wishes and expressions of sympathy since Jonathan’s death,” it added.
“So many of you have left flowers and cards and written messages of love and sympathy on this page.
“This has been a great comfort to us and we want to thank all of you for your support.”
All four men accused of the murder are due to appear together at Nottingham Crown Court tomorrow following initial court hearings last week.
Twenty-two-year-old Vjacaslavs Solovjovs, of Terrace Lane, Mansfield and Bagdas Kilic, of Westfield Lane, Mansfield, also 22, have been charged with murder.
Andrej Novakov (19), of Kipling Street, Mansfield, and Miroslavas Budzinskis (24), of Serlby Rise, Nottingham, have also been charged with the crime.
Solovjovs and Kilic were not brought before Judge Michael Stokes when he remanded them into custody at Nottingham Crown Court last week.
Novakov and Budzinskis, who were also remanded into custody by Judge Stokes last week, spoke only to confirm their names.
No bail applications have been made for any of the four accused.