MPs are to debate the control of antifreeze products following the suspected poisoning of up to 22 cats in the same village.
Sherwood MP Mark Spencer said the deaths of the cats in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, appear to be linked and He has taken the issue to Parliament, where there will be an adjournment debate in Westminster Hall today.
The RSPCA, which is investigating the cat deaths, said it was unusual to have so many in one area.
Mr Spencer, who has a cat called Parsnip, said: “If it is malicious then that is a very serious criminal offence.
“People are genuinely worried. They don’t want to let their cat out in case they don’t see them again.”
The issue to be debated is the “control of antifreeze products and protection of animals”.
Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol which forms crystals inside the animals, damaging kidney tissue and causing kidney failure.
Symptoms of poisoning include lethargy, vomiting and appearing groggy or drunk.
On Saturday, Mr Spencer called a public meeting about the Calverton cat deaths, which began in the summer.