Mansfield Town fan banned for three years for Liverpool pitch invasion

Jamie Moore gets tackled by a steward during the Mansfield Town v Liverpool match
Jamie Moore gets tackled by a steward during the Mansfield Town v Liverpool match
Share this article

A MANSFIELD TOWN fan has been banned from watching the Stags for three years after he entered the pitch during the FA Cup match with Liverpool.

Jamie Moore (30), of Priestsic Road, Sutton-in-Ashfield, was also fined £110 after admitting he’d been drinking and got ‘over-excited’ by the occasion.

Mansfield Magistrates Court was told on Wednesday (23rd) how Moore had not been to a Mansfield Town football match for ‘years’ prior to the Liverpool game on 6th January.

Police and stewards saw Moore run on to the field waving a scarf in his hand.

He went towards the Liverpool fans and started shouting loudly, said prosecutor Robert Carr.

Mr Carr added: “It caused a potentially dangerous confrontation between the two sets of fans. Stewards gave chase and he was arrested.”

When interviewed by police Moore said it was years since he’s been to a match, he’d drunk four or five pints of lager and got into the ‘spirit of things’.

He admitted he’d got far too over excited.

District judge Tim Devas was not impressed.

He said: “I suspect prior to this highly publicised football match, the police made it plain what would happen to anyone who ran on to the pitch.

“How very stupid of you to do what you did. It’s the sort of action which could have led to serious disorder.

“This was a joyous occasion, despite the result, and people like you can ruin it for everyone else.”

Moore is not allowed to enter any of the roads surrounding the One Call Stadium when Mansfield Town are playing, four hours prior to kick-off and six hours after kick-off.

The three-year banning order also applies to Mansfield Town away matches where Moore is not allowed within 10 miles of the away ground for the same time periods.

He was also ordered to pay £85 costs and a £20 victim surcharge.