Mansfield toddler ‘could have died’ after 30 minute ambulance wait

Lara Kinnison-Fearnley, two, almost died due to a late ambulance response.  Lara is pictured with her grandmother Lisa Morgan.
Lara Kinnison-Fearnley, two, almost died due to a late ambulance response. Lara is pictured with her grandmother Lisa Morgan.

A MANSFIELD mum feared her two-year-old daughter could have died after waiting more than half an hour for an ambulance.

Lara Kinnison-Fearnley, who was suffering from a life-threatening seizure, ended up travelling to King’s Mill Hospital in the back of a paramedic’s 4x4.

Mum Katie Bond was told the ambulance was making its way from Worksop, but even after abandoning the wait, Lara had stopped breathing by the time they reached the hospital. Lara suffers from a condition which causes her temperature to rise quickly and can result in her having fits.

Katie, of Mappleton Drive, Oak Tree Lane estate, dreads to think what would have happened if they’d waited for the ambulance to arrive following the incident on 9th January.

She said: “Lara was having a fit so I rang for an ambulance.

“The first paramedic arrived after about 10 minutes

“Another paramedic arrived after about 25 minutes, he was told the ambulance was coming from Worksop.

“The paramedic was really, really upset, he couldn’t apologise enough for the ambulance not being there.

“We decided to put Lara laying down in the back of his Jeep.

“By the time we had got to the hospital she had stopped breathing, I think we got her there just in time.

“They were able to sedate her and give her a CT scan. She’s fine now but I hate to think what would have happened if we had waited for the ambulance.”

And Katie says she has big concerns about possible future cuts at East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS), which she believes is already overstretched.

She added: “It’s quite worrying because you hear about making cuts to the ambulance service.

“But if you need an ambulance in Mansfield and it has to come from Worksop I think we need more not less.”

Peter Ripley, EMAS divisional director said: “On this day, we were extremely busy responding to life-threatening emergencies which include people reporting a cardiac arrest, someone who has stopped breathing or suffering a catastrophic bleed, and taking people to hospital for further treatment.

“The ambulance crew, who responded in one of our Land Rover Discovery emergency vehicles, arrived at 28 minutes after the call was picked up - nine minutes after the national performance standard.

“I appreciate that not having a conventional ambulance arrive to take the child to hospital added to the family’s distress and I am sorry for this.

“However, it is important to recognise that the child and her mother were transported safely, and that our paramedic continued to provide treatment and care throughout the journey.”