Mansfield patient scalded man with boiling water

A patient at a Mansfield hospital poured boiling water down the neck of a fellow patient and punched a healthcare assistant, a court has heard.

Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 4:42 pm
Updated Thursday, 11th August 2016, 3:39 pm
Mansfield Magistrates Court

William Morris, 20, of St Andrews Healthcare, on Sherwood Oaks Business Park, admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm and assault when he appeared at Mansfield Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

Ruth Snodin, prosecuting, told the court that at teatime on February 1 Morris poured the hot water over a male patient and punched him two or three times in the face.

Staff members intervened and restrained Morris. His victim suffered skin loss on his neck and scalp and was taken to A&E at King’s Mill Hospital.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

On April 3 Morris punched a female health care assistant several times in the face while she accompanied him outside so he could have a cigarette.

When he was interviewed about the first assault, Morris said he was waiting for a member of staff to fetch his cigarettes and heard the complainant comment that everyone had to wait and this annoyed him.

He thought the complainant had called him a name earlier when he was waiting for medication, said Ms Snodin.

She said: “He filled a cup of boiling water from the kettle and put in a tea bag. He didn’t put any milk in because he wanted it to be hot.”

Morris said he did it because ‘the complainant made him feel uncomfortable and thought it would give him a chance to move to another hospital.’

“He said he felt sorry for what he had done,” said Ms Snodin.

The court heard Morris was reprimanded for common assault in October 2012.

Anthony Murphy, mitigating, said: “The injuries are very unpleasant and no doubt extremely painful. You would think they were life changing but that’s not the case.

“He was given E45 cream and painkillers and returned to St Andrews”.

He said Morris has been sectioned since July 2014 because he suffers from Asperger’s Syndrome and has been in St Andrews since early 2015.

“He is frustrated with his conditions and frustrated by the fact that he has been sectioned,” said Mr Murphy. “If these incidents continue it will simply mean he remains in custody until he fully complies and the risk level decreases.

“His behaviour must improve otherwise he won’t be released at any point in the near future.”

District Judge Andrew Davison told Morris: “These are serious offences.

“The cases could have been heard in a higher court and the sentence could have been a term in prison. You must seek guidance to control your anger.”

Morris was ordered to pay compensation of £200 to the patient and £100 to the care worker, as well as costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £15.

Morris was also given a two year conditional discharge.