`

Mansfield nail bar fined after customer nail infection

Image of a customers nails.
Image of a customers nails.

A nail bar has been fined after leaving one of its customers with an 'oozing' nail infection.

Lily’s Nails, on Leeming Street, Mansfield has been ordered to pay a total of more than £6,000 for the health and safety offence.
Thi Thu Huyen Le, who runs the salon was fined £2,700 by Mansfield Magistrates after admitting one health and safety at work offence.
She was also ordered to pay costs of £3,193.50, compensation of £100 and a £170 victim surcharge.
The court was told that Lily’s Nails first came to the attention of Mansfield District Council, who prosecuted the case, in 2013 when an Environmental Health Officer visited the premises and offered advice on good practices and health and safety of employees and customers, including guidance on sanitising reusable products and equipment and not using an electric file on a natural nail.
In January 2017, the council received a complaint from a Lily’s Nails customer, after she had visited the salon in December 2016 to have false nails applied.
The court heard that during the procedure, the nail salon assistant hurt the customer and left her finger bleeding after damaging the skin, and used an electric file on natural nails.
The court was told that the customers daughter, who was with her mother in the salon, also noticed that tools used on her mother were then used on another customer without being cleaned.
Two days after the procedure, the customer was in pain and noticed that her nails were weeping and oozing.
A GP diagnosed a nail infection and prescribed her anti-biotics and a fungal cream.
As a result of her complaint to the council, Environmental Health Officers visited the salon on 10 January and investigated.
After the case, Cllr Bill Drewett, Portfolio Holder for Safer Communities at the council, said: “There was a high level of culpability in this case by Lily’s Nails, whose owner showed a disregard for health and safety at work law, which is there to protect employees and customers alike.
“Nail bars have become increasingly popular in recent years but it is important that the services they offer are safe and it is the council’s responsibility to ensure they operate at the required standards.
“Our advice is that if you ever come across a salon using an electric file on a natural nail, get them to stop immediately - or walk away - because the damage caused can be significant.
“I hope this case sends a message to other operators that we take hygiene and public safety very seriously.”