Mansfield man fought cops after accusing ex of dating others

A Mansfield man fought with police officers when they were called after he threatened his ex-partner, a court has heard.

Wednesday, 29th June 2016, 5:49 pm
Updated Wednesday, 29th June 2016, 6:53 pm
Mansfield Magistrates Court

Richard Greenwood, 29, now of Bentinck Close, Boughton, admitted threatening behaviour and two counts of resisting a police officer at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.

Robert Carr, prosecuting, told the court police were called to Layton Avenue in Mansfield on June 18 at 5.45pm after Greenwood demanded to be let in and threatened to smash a window.

“He had dropped their daughter off at the address and accused her of dating other men,” said Mr Carr.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“She said she locked him out of the house and he began punching the front door to be let back in.

“He went around to the back of the house and threatened to smash the conservatory with a brick or a plant pot.”

By the time an officer arrived Greenwood was gone, but he began calling his ex on her mobile phone. When an officer answered Greenwood demanded he put her on.

The officer rang off and was listening to the woman’s complaint when Greenwood entered the room and picked up his daughter.

The officer followed him into another room where Greenwood, who already appeared drunk, grabbed a bottle of vodka and drank some of it, said Mr Carr.

Greenwood put the child down and began arguing with his ex while officer called for back-up.

Officers asked Greenwood to step into the hall where they tried to arrest him.

Greenwood said: “If you’re doing this I might as well head butt you.” and lunged forward, said Mr Carr.

He continued to struggle and was eventually brought to the ground.

He was last before the courts in November 2015 for being drunk and disorderly.

Greenwood, who was not represented, told the court: “I take full responsibility.

“When I was moved out of the room I felt trapped and I felt tricked. I felt claustrophobic in that small space.

“What can I say? I shouldn’t have resisted arrest.”

He told the court the relationship had ended over a year ago but he had continued to live at the address.

He was given a six-month community order and told to attend a ten-day rehabilitation activity requirement. He was also banned from visiting the address for six months.

He must also pay costs of £85, an £85 victim surcharge and compensation of £50.