MANSFIELD Fire Station will keep its cuts-threatened retained engine after bosses heeded an impassioned public campaign and a 2,000-signature petition.
Nottinghamshire’s top firefighter had recommended the town lose its second appliance as part of a county-wide plan to save £6.5m over four years because of Government cuts.
But on Friday Nottinghamshire Fire Authority, the independent body which oversees the fire service, decided it should stay.
The group accepted the petition and heard a full public consultation had showed strong public feeling against the proposal.
A specialist aerial ladder platform, which had also been under threat, will also remain in Mansfield.
Edwinstowe campaigners are also celebrating after the same meeting confirmed the village’s station will be upgraded from retained to full-time service.
“I’m absolutely delighted for Mansfield,” said Nottinghamshire Fire Brigades Union chairman Phil Coates after the turnaround.
“It’s a massive town that would not be able to cope with just one fire engine.
“I’m glad the authority listened to us and the people of Mansfield. It’s a great victory.”
Mansfield MP Sir Alan Meale had also strongly opposed the cuts to the Rosemary Street station.
Fire authority chairman Darrell Pulk put forward the last-minute changes to the fire cover review drawn up by Chief Fire Officer Frank Swann.
“The only area of consultation which did not receive a majority of public support was Mansfield,” he noted.
His amendment was carried unanimously by the authority.
Said Fire Authority member Councillor Cat Arnold: “At the end of the day we’re dealing with human lives and this is the best arrangement we could have come to.”
Edwinstowe and Warsop fire stations were first listed for closure last year but in June Mr Swann recommended both remain open, with Edwinstowe upgraded.
Edwinstowe district and parish councillors John Peck and Celia Brooks led a Parish Council campaign against closure. Said John: “We’re over the moon. This is the result we have been waiting for.”