Mansfield family’s ‘lucky’ escape after house fire

editorial image
Share this article

A FAMILY escaped from a house fire in Mansfield this morning (Sunday) after a candle was left unattended.

Firefighters were called to the property on Reindeer Street shortly before 7am after the candle had set fire to a chest of drawers and spread.

Three people had been asleep in the house, a man, woman and child, but they were able to escape unharmed.

The two fire crews from Mansfield Fire Station used hose reels and breathing apparatus to help bring it under control.

A ventilation fan was also in use after the ground floor suffered smoke damage with some light smoke damage on the first floor.

A spokesman described the family as ‘lucky’ after it was found that the property had no working smoke alarms.