Man airlifted to hospital after fire at electricity sub station near Alfreton

editorial image
Share this article

A MAN has been airlifted to hospital with severe electrical burns following a fire at a sub station near Alfreton.

Firefighters from Alfreton Fire Station were called to Nottingham Road in Somercotes at about 8.30am on Saturday morning.

The fire was out on arrival but first aid was given to a man who had suffered severe electical burns to his upper torso.

Police and paramedics were also called to the scene and the injured man was airlifted to Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham for further treatment.

A spokesman from Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service said Western Power visited the site and have isolated the supply while an investigation is carried out.

There are no safety concerns for residents living nearby.

Firefighters remained at the scene until 9.40am.