Part of Kirkby centre has been sealed off this morning (Thursday) after a stabbing. This is what we know so far:
*Part of Kirkby centre has been sealed off this morning (Thursday) after a stabbing. This is what we know so far:
* A 36-year-old man has been taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre with serious injuries following a stabbing in Kirkby.
The man remains in hospital with serious injuries, although his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening or life-altering.
* Officers were quickly on the scene after being called to Station Street just after 7pm yesterday (Wednesday 27 February).
* A cordon has been put in place at the scene and officers are continuing to make enquiries in the area.
* The cordon will be in place until at least midday and police are asking people to avoid the area because of traffic.
* The circumstances of the attack are being investigated but it is believed to be an isolated incident.
Insp Craig Hall, Neighbourhood Policing Inspector for Ashfield, said: “I understand this is a worrying time for local people and we are conducting a thorough investigation.
“At this stage, we believe this was an isolated incident and both the suspect and victim are known to each other.
Although we have not yet arrested anyone in connection with the incident, we have identified a suspect and we are working hard to locate them so that we can speak to them. We do not believe they pose a risk to the wider public.
“I’d like to thank local residents for their patience while we conduct our enquiries. I appreciate this has caused disruption in the area and we are aiming to have the cordon lifted and road reopened with the next few hours.”