Kirkby garage gutted after mobility scooter went up in flames

Stock picture.
Stock picture.

Firefighters attended the scene of a fire in a garage this afternoon, which was caused by a mobility scooter.

Nottinghamshire Fire Service said the garage at a property in Bulwer Road, Kirkby was completely destroyed by the fire which was housing a car and gardening tools at the time of the fire.

Watch Manager, Jon Howard said: "Although mobility scooters can be left on charge, we always recommend that anyone with a mobility scooter has them regularly serviced by a trained professional."

Mobility scooters are a potential source of ignition, if involved in a fire they can quickly produce large amounts of highly toxic smoke and high temperatures. If you or anyone you know has a mobility scooter, please ensure that it is serviced regularly and left in a safe place to charge, not blocking any possible exists in the event of a fire.