Killer of Forest Town father Jonathan Turner fails to have his minimum jail term cut

editorial image

One of the “venomous and mindless” killers of a Forest Town father, who was brutally beaten to death outside a night club, has failed to convince top judges that his sentence was too tough.

Vjacaslavs Solovjovs delivered the fatal kick - described by horrified onlookers as being ‘like a rugby kick’ - to the head of Jonathan Turner as he lay on the ground after being set upon outside a nightclub.

The 24-year-old Latvian, of Terrace Road, Mansfield, was jailed for life and handed a minimum term of 17 years at Nottingham Crown Court in May after being found guilty of Mr Turner’s murder and perverting the course of justice.

He launched a bid to challenge his sentence, with his lawyers arguing that his minimum term - or tariff - was ‘too long’.

But his appeal was dismissed by judges sitting at London’s Criminal Appeal Court, who said the term was ‘not excessive’.

Mr Turner (27), from Forest Town, died after suffering catastrophic injuries in the attack outside the Vibe Club, in Stockwell Gate, at about 3.30am on 7th May last year.

The court heard the father-of-one had been allowed into the nightclub to buy cigarettes and was standing outside with other people, when he heard a number of non-English voices involved in an argument.

He shouted “Oi, Poland’s that way” and then made an offensive remark, telling the group to ‘go back to their own country’, the court was told.

His comments provoked an ‘instantaneous and furious response’ from Solovjovs and another man, Bagdas Kilic, as they both rushed aggressively towards the victim and launched an attack on him.

During the ‘venomous and mindless’ attack, Mr Turner was repeatedly punched and kicked by both men - despite him pleading for them to stop.

Solovjovs was restrained by a bystander, but managed to get free and took a running kick - which one witness graphically described as a ‘very heavy kick to the head’, in the way someone would kick a rugby ball.

This kick, delivered as the victim lay unconcious on the ground, proved to be the fatal blow - causing the devastating injury from which he died the following day.

The court heard Mr Turner’s death has had a ‘dreadful effect’ on the lives of his family.

The sentencing judge said it was ‘clear from the first punch’ that Mr Turner was no match for his attackers and that he was on the retreat, trying to get away from them.

Several people who witnessed the attack were traumatised and some had to have counselling.

Kurdish national Kilic (23), of Westfield Lane, Mansfield, was cleared of murder, but found guilty of manslaughter and jailed for 10 years.

Two other men were also jailed for their roles in the attack, with one admitting affray and perverting the course of justice and another being found guilty of violent disorder.

Lawyers for Solovjovs argued his minimum term - which he must serve before he can apply for parole - was over the top and urged the Appeal Court to consider reducing it.

But, rejecting his appeal bid, Lord Justice Treacy said the tariff could not be challenged.

Sitting with Mr Justice Burton and Mr Justice Ramsey, he added: “There is no basis for arguing that the conclusion to which the sentencing judge came was in any way wrong.”