Jealous Maltby man's death threat message

A jealous Maltby man sent a death threat to his ex-partner and tried to kick her front door in on Christmas Day, a court has heard.

Mansfield Magistrates Court.
Mansfield Magistrates Court.

Luke Adam Pywell, 28, of Birks Holt Drive, pleaded guilty to harassment and criminal damage at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

Pywell turned up at his ex partner’s Worksop home at 9.40pm on Christmas Day, demanding to know who had bought her a new necklace.

Jo Chadd, prosecuting, said: “He put his foot in the door so she couldn’t shut him out. He refused to leave.”

Pywell’s ex kicked his foot out of the way, but Pywell continued to watch her and shout at her through the letter box.

The court heard that the woman, who had been in an eight-year relationship with Pywell which had recently ended, became increasingly frightened when he kicked a panel loose in the UPVC front door.

“She ran upstairs because she was so scared,” said Ms Chadd.

On January 4, while on holiday at Centreparcs, the woman received voice mails in which Pywell accused her of seeing someone else and at 2.30am he left a voice mail threatening to kill her.

On January 9, Pywell turned up at her Worksop home and demanded to know where she had been. The court heard he called her five times and asked: “Are you ready to tell me the truth yet?”

The police were called, and when Pywell returned to the address, he rode away.

David Verity, mitigating, said Pywell had been ‘devastated’ when the relationship ended.

He said: “When the messages were sent he had had a lot to drink. They were left on voice mail and not said directly to his partner.

“On January 9 his intention had been to post some money through the door to pay for the damage to the door.”

The court heard he had been given a 16 week suspended sentence for driving while disqualified on December 11 last year.

He had previous convictions for theft, possession of a blade and criminal damage in June 2014.

Mr Verity said: “He was devastated when the relationship came to an end. He apologises for what has happened.”

The court heard Pywell had been working in ‘his first proper job’.

Magistrates sent him to prison for 17 weeks.

A two-year restraining order was imposed and he was ordered to pay £150 compensation for the door.