Injury may have led to OD

editorial image

A MAN who died from an overdose of prescription drugs may have increased his dose after injuring himself on a trampoline, an inquest heard.

Andrew Dainty was found dead by police at his home in Littleover Avenue, Mansfield, in February of last year and the hearing at Nottingham Coroner’s Court was told.

The 45-year-old had a long history of illegal drug use, especially problems with heroin and amphetamine, and also suffered from mental health problems in recent years, including depression.

However, a post-mortem showed he had no trace of illegal substances in his system when he died, but had been taking the heroin substitute prescription drug, methadone, and diazepam.

Pc Scott Radford, who 
works out of Mansfield Woodhouse, had been the first to enter Mr Dainty’s property last February after his worried partner had contacted police saying she had failed to contact him, phoning him 35 times in one day.

Speaking at the inquest, Pc Radford said he found Mr Dainty dead in his bed.

He said there was evidence of prescription drugs, but there had been no note left and nothing to suggest he had intended to take his life on 
mobile phones found at his home.

It was heard that in the days leading up to his death, Mr Dainty had injured his ribs playing on a trampoline with his partner’s children.

Jane Gillespie, assistant deputy coroner for Nottinghamshire suggested that he may of upped his dose of prescriptions drugs to deal with the pain, but could not be 

Using medical reports from Kings Mill Hospital, it was determined that he had died of a toxic drug overdose.

Returning a narrative 
verdict, Miss Gillespie, said: “It appears to me that he was 
taking a cocktail of prescription drugs but I have no evidence that 
he was a current illegal drug user.

“Despite his previous mental health problems, I do not find that he committed suicide.”

A report released only last week raised concern over the number of people in England and Wales 
dying from overdoses of methadone, which has increased to 486 last year- the highest number in 15 years .

The drinkable liquid drug is prescribed to heroin 
addicts and administered by pharmacists as part of programmes designed to wean people off illegal drugs.