Sharp shards of plastic have left a pensioner “frightened to death” of New Year celebrations after she discovered them in her back garden.
Jean Foulstone was alarmed when she discovered sharp plastic surrounding her home on Cardale Road, Pleasley, after Bonfire Night.
The shards, which Jean believes belonged to a firework, were discovered in her garden on Monday, November 6.
The 74-year-old said: “I do like fireworks.
“Before they use to be cardboard.
“The pieces are really sharp – they shouldn’t be making them.
“I am frightened to death of the New Year celebrations.”
Jean has said she is glad she noticed the plastic pieces before letting her dog out in the morning as she believes it would have hurt her dog, with the pieces getting lodged in her skin.
She said: “You are not safe in your own home. There were some in the porch – just think if those had hit me.
“They are just so sharp.
“I won’t be looking forward to next year’s Bonfire Night.
“I have high blood pressure and it will be raising.”
Jean said her neighbours’ homes have also sustained damage from the plastic shards.
She has said a window and the roof of a conservatory were both damaged during the Bonfire Night celebrations.
The British Fireworks Association aims to promote the safe and sensible use of fireworks that are manufactured and tested to the highest standards
Steve Newham, BFA chairman, said: “There are some plastics used in fireworks - not many.
“Sharp or hardened plastic tends to be steered away from.”
Mr Newham has said plastic is mostly used in larger fireworks or in certain designs, because of the structure.
He said: “Most of our members go for biodegradable fireworks.
“We support the safe and responsible use of fireworks, that includes the environment they are used in.
“They should think not only of their own entertainment but also the surrounding areas.”
A spokesman from Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue said: “We fortunately saw a decrease this year, in comparison to last year, in the number of bonfire/firework related incidents we attended.
“However, this doesn’t mean to say that people shouldn’t continue to be extra careful when using them.”