Hucknall mum attacked after filming drunken husband on her mobile phone

A Hucknall mum filmed the drunken behaviour of her husband on her mobile phone as they argued while walking home from a wedding reception, a court was told.

Thursday, 26th March 2015, 12:48 pm
Nottingham Magistrates' Court

But the husband reacted angrily, tried to snatch the phone and grabbed her by the throat. As a result, he was later arrested and hauled before Nottingham Magistrates’ Court.

Benjamin Hancocks (37), of Oak Grove, Hucknall, admitted assaulting Kathleen Hancocks by beating her.

Sumaiya Khan, prosecuting, said the attack happened on Saturday 1st November last year when Hancocks was clearly drunk.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“They had a verbal altercation and when she started to video him, he grabbed her around the throat,” said Mrs Khan. “He threatened to take her phone and smash it up.

“When interviewed by the police, he said he had no recollection of the incident, and accepted his wife’s account.

“Mrs Hancocks suffered pain and swelling to her neck, which was still there when she visited her doctor’s surgery 10 days later.”

Hancocks was not legally represented in court, but said: “I am deeply ashamed of my behaviour.

“I know, as a child, what it is like to witness domestic violence. I never thought that I would end up doing it myself.

“We are still happily married and trying to carry on as normal with our kids at home.

“I will try to make sure nothing like this ever happens again.”

Hancocks, a talented former local footballer, submitted a letter to District Judge Leo Pyle, who also read a pre-sentence report on the defendant that had been prepared by the probation service.

No details of either were disclosed in court, but Judge Pyle told Hancocks: “It is clear that you are taking active steps to sort out the problems in your life.”

Describing the offence as ‘serious’, the judge sentenced Hancocks to a community order of 12 months, during which time he must carry out 70 hours of unpaid work. He must also attend ten sessions of an alcohol-treatment programme and be supervised by probation officers.

Hancocks was ordered to pay court costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £60.