Horror after cat found cut in half at Rainworth

NMAC11-0062-1'William and Karen McCubbin of Rainworth whose cat Milo was killed and mutilated.
NMAC11-0062-1'William and Karen McCubbin of Rainworth whose cat Milo was killed and mutilated.

A RAINWORTH family was left heartbroken after their pet cat’s body was found cut in half and dumped behind a petrol station.

Two-year-old tabby Milo had gone missing before Christmas and the grim discovery was made by a dog walker.

His owner William McCubbin (47) says the whole family was shocked and upset by the news and he has urged anyone who knows what happened to Milo to come forward.

“We are absolutely devastated by what has happened, and we now just want to warn people about this and hope that we can find whoever is responsible,” he said.

“We have reported it to the police and the RSPCA and we now hope someone will have some information.

“We have been told by a vet that there is no way this could have been caused by a car accident, or another animal, but why anyone would do this deliberately we just don’t know.”

William says Milo was a friendly and playful cat who never wandered far from home.

The family had owned him from a kitten along with his sister Tilly, who usually went outside with Milo.

The two cats lived with William, his wife Karen (43), and their two sons Craig (17) and 12-year-old Nathan.

Milo went missing from the family’s home, on Kirklington Road, on 16th December and his body was found five days later at the nearby garage, which is also on Kirklington Road.

William and Karen had been searching for him by knocking on doors and showing residents a picture of the cat.

The exact cause of death is not known, but William says he was told by a vet who examined Milo that the cat had been cut clean in half at an angle.

“I was asked to come and identify him and there was part of me that was, of course, hoping it wasn’t him,” William said.

“But at the same time I would not want to ever wish this on anyone else.

“It was horrible to find out something like that had happened to our pet.

“It ruined Christmas for all of us and I didn’t even bother putting up a tree this year.”

RSPCA inspector Keith Ellis is now investigating the incident.

“At this stage we have no idea what or who is responsible for these injuries and we do not know if it was deliberate,” he said.

“We are appealing to anyone who may have any information about this incident, no matter how small, to contact the RSPCA immediately.

“If someone has done this deliberately then this is a shocking case of animal cruelty and we will do all we can to try to bring the offender to justice.”

The RSPCA says that anyone found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal can face a maximum six-month prison sentence and/or a £20,000 fine.

William said: “If someone knows anything I hope they would have it in their hearts to come forward.

“If it is deliberate, those responsible must have no feelings so you wonder what they could do to a person next time.”

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.