GUEST COLUMN: Are you able to claim carer's allowance? by Simon Hartley-Jones, Mansfield CAB

Here at Mansfield Citizens' Advice we help and advise people on a wide range of issues.

Monday, 8th August 2016, 1:53 pm
Updated Monday, 8th August 2016, 2:59 pm
Citizens Advice Bureau logo

Via this column we hope to let people know about the work we do and answer some of the common questions we are asked. This week we focus on carer’s allowance. Here is a case study and our advice...

“My father recently had a stroke and I have cut down my working hours to care for him. He receives sick pay, but we are struggling financially. Is there any help available for us?”

Financial support is available for people when they become ill, as well as for their carers.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

What is available will depend on your circumstances.

Your father may be eligible for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) to help with his daily living and mobility costs.

His eligibility will be assessed on how his condition affects him, and what support he needs.

To apply for PIP, your father can call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and then complete the form he is sent.

He can request a form by post, but it is usually better to start the claim over the phone, as PIP payments are backdated from the day you made your claim.

There may also be help available for you as his carer.

Carer’s allowance is a financial assistance for people who have less time to work because they are caring for someone.

If you earn £110 a week or less from your job after tax, and care for your father for 35 hours a week, you may be eligible.

You can make an application on the website.

To claim Carer’s Allowance, your father needs to be in receipt of the component of PIP which covers living costs (as opposed to mobility costs).

If you need help or information on applying for any of these benefits, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or visit