A SHIREBROOK man said he felt like he had been punched in the face by a boxer after a bin lid broke off in high winds and hit him.
Roy Dixon was walking his dog on Thursday morning near Park Road Infant School, on Orchard Close, when the burgundy wheelie bin lid broke off in a gust of wind and struck him, giving him a nose bleed.
“I was really shocked, it felt like I’d been hit in the face by Cassius Clay with a huge glove, my hand was full of blood,” he said.
“Blood was pouring down my face and all over my clothes, a lady came over who had seen it and asked if I was ok.”
The burgundy wheelie bins, which recycle paper, glass, tins and plastic bottles, were introduced by Bolsover District Council in May last year and are used by nearly 79,000 households across the district and North East Derbyshire District Council.
Roy is warning other residents to keep an eye out for flying bin lids and is worried that a similar incident could occur in high gales.
“It was very near Park Road Junior School so I wouldn’t want it to happen a child, parent or staff member or anyone else,” he added.
“I went to the local council office because I wondered whether I might be able to get some compensation but they told me it was an act of God.”
A Bolsover District Council spokesman said: “We sympathise with the gentleman who was hit by the bin and wish him a full recovery.
“We cannot control the weather but would encourage residents to put their bins where they are shielded from the weather.”Fl