Family’s justice for tragic Southwell dad

editorial image

The family of a Southwell man who died through an asbestos-related illness have thanked his friends and family for helping to secure justice.

Richard Hayes (63) died in October 2013 after being diagnosed with mesothelioma, a terminal illness caused by exposure to asbestos fibres.

But before his death, he told his family he came into contact with the deadly dust while working as an apprentice electrical engineer at Staythorpe Power Station in Newark during the ‘60s.

And after his family put out an appeal to his former colleagues to help provide evidence, they were surprised the response.

Andrew Hayes, Richard’s son, said: “We were bowled over when, after our appeal, so many people came forward to help. We didn’t think anyone would remember dad and the work that he would have done at the power station.

“Now, with the help of those people and our lawyers Irwin Mitchell, we have secured justice in his memory and got the information we were searching for.”

The father-of-two only worked at the power station for approximately five years before working as a police officer and then becoming employed as a social worker and probation officer until his retirement in 2007.

Richard first started to show the debilitating symptoms of mesothelioma in July 2013 when he developed a bad cough. Doctors carried out investigations and found his condition was too advanced to treat and he died at home moths later.

Following an investigation, Staythorpe Power Station accepted admission of liability, and paid out an undisclosed amount of money to the family.

Nicola Handley, a specialist industrial disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell’s, said: “We would like to thank all who came forward with extremely valuable information for the case. Without their help, proving the case could have been impossible.

“Whilst no amount of money can bring Richard back, the settlement will provide his family with some comfort that justice has been achieved to mark Richard’s premature death.”