A warning has gone out about the dangers of not charging e-cigarette batteries and chargers properly.
Trading standards officers from Nottingham City Council’s Community Protection team have received a number of complaints about them overheating or exploding while in use.
More than 70 per cent of the complaints made about e-cigarettes to trading standards in the East Midlands have been about safety issues and officers want to warn residents to be aware of the potential dangers when charging the devices and how they can keep themselves safe.
Contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 040506.
As well as unsafe products being sold, trading standards is also concerned that people are not using products that are compatible with each other, are not reading instructions on how to charge the products safely, and are leaving them unattended while they are charging.
Councillor Dave Liversidge, Portfolio Holder for Community Safety, Housing and Voluntary Sector at Nottingham City Council, said: “E-cigarettes may be popular, but please don’t put your safety at risk.
“There have been reports of fires, injuries and even deaths related to e-cigarettes exploding and we want both consumers and retailers to be vigilant to prevent further accidents occurring. It is important to make sure people have access to clear safety advice to minimise the risks from over-charging or using incompatible products.”
You can avoid many of the dangers by following this simple advice:
• Only use the charger supplied with the e-cigarette;
• Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer carefully – battery capacities and charging voltages vary according to manufacturer so it is important to check you are using the correct charger;
• Heed any warnings supplied with the product. Over-tightening of the screwed connection to the rechargeable battery can result in mechanical damage which can, in turn, create heat problems and possible failure;
• Ensure that e-cigarettes are not left charging for longer than required;
• Do not leave e-cigarettes plugged in overnight or unattended;
• Look for the CE mark that indicates the charger complies with European Safety standards;
• Do not store e-cigarettes or liquids within reach of children or pets;
• Be aware, liquid nicotine can be fatal if swallowed or in contact with the skin. If this happens, seek medical attention immediately.
If you would like help to quit smoking, you can seek advice from an NHS Stop Smoking Service. To get in touch with the local NHS New Leaf Stop Smoking Service call 0800 561 2121.