Drug-dealing grandma caught escaping through back window


A drug-dealing grandmother from Hucknall was caught by police when trying to escape through the back window of a friend’s house, a court heard.

The friend had just been arrested on the street, and officers had been sent to his home at Lime Tree Road on Hucknall’s Welbeck Estate to search it.

The grandma, Nadine Ward (43), was there at the time and when apprehended, she had a bag of cannabis on her, Nottingham Crown Court was told.

Ward’s home at Ruffs Drive was duly searched too, and four cannabis plants, plus associated growing equipment and self-seal bags, were found.

Ward pleaded guilty in court to three charges of producing the plants, of possessing 3.17 grams of cannabis and of intending to supply the drug. It was estimated that she could have benefited to the tune of £2,300 from her dealing.

Siward James-Moore (prosecuting) explained that an examination of Ward’s mobile phone by police revealed text messages that showed she was a regular supplier of cannabis.

“She smoked cannabis herself, and played a significant role in street-dealing, obtaining a financial advantage” said Mr James-Moore.

For Ward, Digby Johnson (defending) told the court she knew she had done wrong, but had got caught up in “the world of cannabis” whereby she was tempted to grow her own and sell it to “keep herself afloat” by paying off debts that had built up.

“She supplied only to a discreet and limited group of friends, but it’s quite clear she was unable to think herself out of the trouble she got into,” said Mr Johnson.

Mr Johnson also disclosed that Ward’s actions left her in danger of being thrown out of her council-owned home, where she lived with her daughter Page, and her grandson. Page had moved in after being subjected to domestic violence.

Ward’s other daughter had a child who was due to have a serious operation at a hospital in Birmingham. And Ward herself was due to receive tests and treatment to discover the reason behind medical problems that were resulting in her regularly fainting and collapsing.

The judge, Recorder David Chinnery, sentenced Ward to a term of eight months in prison, suspended for 12 months, during which time she must be supervised by the probation service and attend a Thinking Skills programme. She was also fined £110 and ordered to pay court costs of £250.

Describing her offences as “serious”, Mr Chinnery told her: “Your grandson depends on you for his accommodation. You have a lot of responsibility and motive for staying out of trouble.”