Driver who rolled car outside Mansfield school in front of pupils is banned from the road

Emergency services at the scene of the crash outside The Garibaldi School.
Emergency services at the scene of the crash outside The Garibaldi School.

A motorist with a drink problem who overturned his car outside a Mansfield school has been banned from the road.

Layton Stephens refused to co-operate with police after hitting a stationary vehicle and flipping his car outside The Garibaldi School in Forest Town.

The collision happened on Friday, June 15, at about 3.30pm, just as children were leaving the Garibaldi Road school at the end of the day.

East Midlands Ambulance Service sent four paramedics in fast response cars and two double-crewed ambulances to the scene.

Stephens was left covered in blood and needed treatment, while another man needed hospital treatment.

The school also confirmed one of its pupils suffered minor injuries in the collision.

Mansfield Magistrates’ Court today heard Stephens, of Walnut Tree Crescent, refused a breath test when asked by police.

Daniel Pietryka, prosecuting, said: “There was a refusal after a request was made at the roadside and later on.”

Amy Godson, mitigating, said: “He accepts he has a significant alcohol problem.

“Since this incident he is engaging with Alcoholics Anonymous and Change Grow Live.

“He describes his issue with alcohol as spiralling out of control.”

She said Stephens had used alcohol as a crutch since the death of his father, but had “positive support” from his family.

Stephens, aged 31, admitted failing to provide a specimen for analysis.

Sentencing, district judge Jonathan Taaffe said: “Mr Stephens, you have a drink problem and it’s to be commended that you’re trying to take steps to come to terms with that.

“But when you get behind the wheel of a car, which is a lethal weapon, you put yourself and others at risk of serious injury and death.”

The court heard he was banned from driving for a similar offence in 2005.

Stephens was banned from driving for three years and given a 16-week curfew from 7pm to 6am. He was also ordered to pay £85 costs and an £85 government surcharge.