DRAMATIC IMAGES: Take a look at a Mansfield Woodhouse garage destroyed by fire

The self-employed builder lost two motorbikes in the blaze and all of his tools.
The self-employed builder lost two motorbikes in the blaze and all of his tools.

The 'gutted' owner of a garage which exploded in flames lost everything except for a 'pair of keys'.

Steve Townsend, 61, of Black Gate Yard, Mansfield Woodhouse, garage was gutted of its content after a fire broke out at 6 pm, yesterday, (Tuesday, January, 30).

He said the garage roof 'blew off' when he opened the doors.

Fire crews from Mansfield, Edwinstowe and Warsop put the fire out.

The fire has been classed as an accident.

The self-employed builder lost two motorbikes in the blaze and all of his tools.

He attempted to save one of the bikes, a Royal Enfield, from the fire as it was full of petrol and burnt his hands while pulling it from the burning garage.

The other bike a VF750 Honda which Steve has been building for two years was competently destroyed.

He said: "Everything has gone, I'm gutted.

"At 4 pm I put some tools into the garage and it was ok, there were no sparks.

"At 6 pm I was sat in the kitchen and I thought 'what is that crackling noise'.

"I opened the doors to the garage and the roof blew off.

"It blew up - it was red hot, it was really going."

It is estimated that over £20,000 worth of tools, bikes and PA equipment was lost.

An "irreplaceable" 1971 Fender guitar and furniture which Steve makes in his spare time was also lost.

Steve has said he 'cannot fault' Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service which responded within ten minutes.

A spokesperson from the service said: "The cause was accidental and caused by faulty leads to an equipment or appliance which was exacerbated by petrol stored within the garage.

"Crews had dealt with the incident by 7.44pm."