UPDATE 3pm: Stabbed Mansfield boy out of intensive care

THE father of the four-year-old Mansfield boy who was stabbed on Easter Monday said on Tuesday morning that his son was now out of intensive care and recovering in hospital.

A 51-year-old Mansfield man has been arrested on suspicion of assault and continues to be questioned by police.

Police at  Frederick Street in Mansfield on Tuesday.

Police at Frederick Street in Mansfield on Tuesday.

The dad, from Ratcliffe Gate, said on Tuesday: “He is my only son. He is a bright lad, sprightly and everybody knows him.

“We stayed with him until he came round. He should be out of hospital within two or three days.”

Police said on Tuesday that they would continue to question the 51-year-old man today.

The boy was found in Frederick Street just before 1.30pm yesterday. Police said he had serious injuries, which are believed to be stab wounds, and is undergoing treatment at Nottingham’s Queen’s Medical Centre.

The boy’s parents have been with him at the hospital, where he is conscious and stable.

A police spokesperson added: “We believe this is an isolated incident and we do not think any other parties are involved. We will be interviewing the man in custody later today.

“Specialist support is being provided for the boy and his family, while house-to-house enquiries and a full forensic examination of a property in Frederick Street will be carried out today.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

The father said he was shocked when he returned to his home after a trip to a nearby shop to find police cars on the street and his son missing.

“There was a wheel-sized pool of blood on the ground and my son’s welly,” he said. “Nobody knew what was going off.

“One of my neighbours was asleep at the time and said he heard screaming and crying which woke him up.

“It was total shock and panic.”

The boy lives with his mother but had been staying at Frederick Street with his father for the week.

His dad said: “He is such a friendly little boy. If you met him you would understand - they all love him around here.

“In hospital he said to me ‘daddy, can I come home I feel poorly’.”

A worker at Costcutter convenience store, near the scene, said the incident was ‘terrifying’.

“To think something like this could happen just around the corner. There are a lot of kids on the street around here and I know all of them,” he said.

A Frederick Street resident said: “It is shocking. You would not expect this to happen around here. It is a fairly quiet area.”

See this week’s Chad for full report.