Teenagers threatened to stab people who didn't hand over belongings in Sutton and Kirkby robbery spree

Two teenagers who robbed three people in an early-morning spree in Sutton have been sentenced at court.

Wednesday, 13th November 2019, 9:17 am
One of the robberies happened in Portland Square, Sutton. Pic: Google Images.

The boys, who cannot be named for legal reasons, used a moped as a getaway vehicle for the first two incidents before threatening to stab a taxi driver with a screwdriver and stealing his car.

Following an investigation by Nottinghamshire Police's robbery team, one of the defendants, a 16-year-old, was sentenced to a total of three years in a young offenders' institution after he admitted three offences of robbery and possession of an offensive weapon.

The other, a 17-year-old, admitted the three robberies and was sentenced to an 18-month youth rehabilitation order, a supervision requirement and a 9pm to 6am curfew for three months.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Nottingham Crown Court heard a 21-year-old man was told he would be stabbed if he didn't hand over his belongings in Portland Square, Sutton, at some time between 4.20am and 4.40am on Tuesday, July 23.

He handed over his mobile phone, earphones and his wallet containing a bank card. He was also forced to tell them his PIN for his mobile.The two teenagers who committed the robbery were both riding the same moped.

At 4.39am, two teenagers on a moped and matching the same description also robbed a 47-year-old woman of her mobile phone and handbag as she waited at a bus stop in Mansfield Road, Sutton.

Read More

Read More

Minutes later into their journey they told the taxi driver to stop and threatened to 'cut' him if he didn't give them his money. They then pulled him out of the car and kicked and punched him in the head and body, before stealing the car in St Andrews Street, Kirkby, at around 6.30am.

The taxi driver lost the car, which he needed for work, as well as bank cards, two mobile phones and some cash.

The car was later found abandoned and burnt out on a dirt track near Coxmoor Farm in Kirkby.

Officers responding to the third robbery spotted the shadows of two people hiding behind a car after following information that they had run off into the Coxmoor Estate. The pair then ran off but officers caught the 17-year-old on a nearby playing field, while the 16-year-old, who was recognised by the pursuing officers, was arrested at his home a short time later.

The pair were sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court on Friday (November 8).

Detective Constable Nathan Fagan, who led the investigation, said: "This was a complex investigation due to the volume of offences and involved interviews with numerous witnesses and CCTV enquiries to piece together their connection to the crime spree.

"The thorough investigation eventually left the pair with no alternative but to admit the offences in court. I'm pleased the court recognised the seriousness of the case by giving one of the defendants a custodial sentence despite his age and credit for a guilty plea."