Sutton residents say they 'don't feel safe' in town following stabbing

Residents in Sutton have reacted to news that a man was stabbed to death over the weekend - saying they "don't feel safe" walking down the street.

By Andrew Topping
Monday, 4th November 2019, 11:34 am
Police on the scene in Langton Road.
Police on the scene in Langton Road.

Officers from Nottinghamshire Police were called to Langton Road on Friday night (November 1) to reports that a man had been stabbed.

A man, aged 42, who has not yet been named by police, was taken to hospital with stab wounds and later pronounced dead at Queen's Medical Centre.

A 31-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder and an investigation is ongoing into what police believe is a "targeted attack".

Police on the scene in Langton Road.

And residents in Sutton have said they no longer feel safe walking around the area, but one also described the incident as a "sign of the times".

Micheal Taylor, 63, from Phil’s Bait and Tackle said: "I’m shocked at how close it is. It is a big thing to happen on your doorstep.

"I don't feel safe to walk around Sutton."

Read More

Read More
Sutton residents thanked for 'patience and understanding' amid murder investigat...
Police on the scene in Langton Road.

"I have felt safer with the amount of police in the town since.

"It has been a nightmare for us. The car park was shut so we just had footfall. Didn’t take in half what we usually do."

Chris Pell, 65, of Herb ‘n’ Genie, said: “We had a phone call from a customer who asked if we were open as there had been a stabbing. It did affect trade on the day.

"Sutton is getting worse, there is always something going off. But I was still surprised."

"I went down on Saturday and it was all cordoned off. It was something that was waiting to happen."

Another resident, from High Pavement, said: "It is a shame it use to be a nice area."

Nottinghamshire Police continue to patrol the area, and a man is in custody on suspicion of murder.

Detective Inspector Becky Hodgman, who is leading the investigation, said: “A man has now been arrested following our enquiries. He remains in police custody.

"Our investigations make us believed that this was a targeted attack. We are in the early stages of the murder investigation as we continue to piece what happened before and after the attack.

"Officers are in the area and I would continue to encourage anyone who has any concerns to speak to one of them."

If you have any information that might help police with their enquiries, call them on 101 using incident number 980 of November 1, 2019.