Staff punched in Mansfield town centre McDonald’s

09-0565-2''Mansfield Magistrates Court
09-0565-2''Mansfield Magistrates Court

A man and woman who attacked staff in McDonald’s in Mansfield town centre have been told they could face going to jail.

Mark Timothy Spowage (54) of Alcock Avenue, Mansfield and Sophie Irene Heather Smith (22), also of Alcock Avenue, stood in front of magistrates together where they admitted assault.

Smith admitted attacking a female member of staff, as did Spowage, who also admitted punching the shift manager.

For the Crown Prosecution Service, Wayne Wallis outlined the incident which took place in the restaurant on West Gate on 5th May.

Smith and Spowage were part of a group of friends in the restaurant in the middle of the afternoon when an argument broke out.

The shift manager, Richard Brown intervened and tried to get the group to leave, but it descended into violence as Spowage ‘threw a barrage of punches’ towards him. He was hit twice, once in the eye and once in the mouth.

As staff member Cara Steele tried to step in, the court was told that she was caught with one of the blows also.

Meanwhile, Smith thrust her face towards Cara Steele as if she was trying to headbutt her and punched her in the face.

Eventually, Spowage left the restaurant but returned a short time later accompanied by a youngster.

Spowage approached Richard Brown again and said he was ‘going to knock him out’, but was dragged away by friends.

The staff said both Spowage and Smith both smelled of alcohol, and Smith was slurring her words.

In mitigation the court was told that Spowage was not used to drinking but had met up with an old friend and had gone to the pub.

He thought he had been drinking cider and did not know whisky was being added to his drink.

The court was told that Spowage was not concerned about himself but was worried about what would happen to his five-year-old son to whom he was the main carer, if he was to go to prison.

Smith, who had no previous conviction, admitted her behaviour had been ‘disgraceful’.

The magistrates said: “The fact you pleaded guilty will be taken into account, but we are not ruling out custody. You need to realise how serious this is.”

They will be sentenced next Wednesday, 20th August.