Shirebrook thugs spared jail after town centre assault

09-0565-2''Mansfield Magistrates Court
09-0565-2''Mansfield Magistrates Court

Three Shirebrook thugs who chased a man along a town centre street before repeatedly punching and kicking him have all been spared immediate jail sentences.

Brian Birch (20) of Highcliffe Avenue, Antony Christopher James Gregory (23) of Langwith Road, and Brad Ward (21) of Park Avenue all admitted the assault dating back to 10th May.

Outlining the case at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court, prosecutor Neil Hollett said the three friends had been out drinking in Mansfield town centre.

They had been to two nightclubs when a fight broke out in the street at around 4am between two unknown males.

The court was told how Ward then got involved with one of the males who was on the floor.

The case victim, Keiron McGurch, then approached the ongoing incident and Ward punched out at him.

Birch then approached Mr McGurch ‘in an aggressive manner’, while Gregory tried to break up the two unnamed males fighting on the floor.

Mr McGurch then ran off being chased by all three defendants.

CCTV picked up the chase which ended in the middle of the road in St Peter’s Way. Birch caught up with him first before grabbing and punching him, joined by Ward.

Gregory was the last to arrive and punched him to the floor, before kicking him on the ground.

They were all arrested shortly afterwards and charged, despite the victim refusing to co-operate with police.

All three defendants sat side by side in court and stared at the floor as the footage was shown to the magistrates.

They admitted they had been drinking heavily and were remorseful for their actions.

Defending Birch and Gregory, Matthew Green said: “They new their actions were abhorrent. It was a night out with friends that ended with the most disastrous consequences.”

After considering a verdict, the magistrate said: “Your behaviour was past the custody threshold, it was town centre violence in drink. It was a recipe for disaster.”

The three were given four months’ jail, suspended for a year.

Ward and Birch were given three-month curfew orders and 150 hours community service.

Gregory was given 200 hours community service and banned from all pubs in Shirebrook and Nottinghamshire for six months.

Each had to also pay costs and victim surcharges.