Ollerton man kept driving after police stinger blew out tyres
An Ollerton man who ran five red lights while fleeing police kept driving even when a stinger trap blew his tyres out, a court has heard.
Officers recognised Gino Masciopinto’s black Mercedes on the A60 Mansfield Road just after 11pm on October 5, last year, said prosecutor Priya Bakshi.
They activated lights and sirens because he was wanted on another matter, but after initially slowing down he accelerated away to more than 70mph in a 50mph zone.
Even though it was raining and the road was wet and slippery, he drove at ‘excess speed’ while overtaking other vehicles, Ms Bakshi said.
Police deployed a stinger outside Sainsbury’s in Ravenshead, which deflated his tyres, but Masciopinto continued driving and ran a fifth red light.
"Officers were concerned he would continue to drive,” she said. “They tried to force him into a car park. He tried to break free but they kept contact and brought it to a stop.
"He got out and ran away but was detained.”
Masciopinto tested positive for drugs but the court heard ‘a lack of resources’ meant police were still waiting for the lab’s results, seven months later.
Because there is a six-month time limit on bringing charges, the court heard he now cannot be prosecuted for drug driving.
When he was interviewed by police, Masciopinto, who only holds a provisional licence, admitted his role in the seven-minute chase.
The court heard he has three previous convictions, including three counts of being concerned in the supply of Class A and B drugs, for which he was detained in a Youth Offenders’ Institute. At the time of the latest offence, he was on a conditional discharge.
Edie Leonard, mitigating, asked for sentencing to be adjourned to tie in with the outcome of another matter.
Masciopinto, 23, of Forest Road, Ollerton, admitted dangerous driving and driving without a licence or insurance when he appeared at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court on April 16.
On Friday, at Nottingham Crown Court, Recorder William Harbage QC gave Masciopinto bail until July 2.
He told the defendant: “No promises are being held out and custody is the most likely outcome.”