Notts man bit off brother's nose in pub fight

A Sutton man who bit off the end of his brother's nose in a drunken pub fight on his birthday has "torn his family apart," a court heard.

Thursday, 5th November 2020, 2:01 pm

Shane Groves tried to headbutt his brother, but instead "clamped" his teeth on to his nose, and the tip was severed when onlookers pulled the pair apart in the Progressive Club on Alexandra Terrace, Stanton Hill, Sutton, on April 5 last year.

"It seems there had been a comment which was taken to be derogatory by a friend of his brother's," prosecutor Julia King told Nottingham Crown Court on Thursday. "It's tantamount to using a weapon, as he used his teeth."

His brother is still waiting for the first of three reconstructive operations which have been delayed by the pandemic, she said, and is "still emotionally distressed."

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Read the latest stories from Nottingham Crown Court.

Recorder Paul Mann QC told Groves: "His nose was sewn back on initially, but it didn't take and it went rotten and fell off.

"It has had a profound effect on his personality. He used to be a confident young man. He is reluctant to go out and socialise.

"Probably what has distressed him more than anything is your failure to accept responsibility for a long time.

"You have never said a word to him since by way of apology.”

The court heard Groves has previous convictions for criminal damage in 2011 and 2018, and failing to provide a specimen in 2016. He has received two warnings for assault, and was in breach of a conditional discharge at the time.

Matthew Smith, mitigating, said: "He accepts he behaved in a disgraceful way. It was an isolated offence."

He said Groves, a father-of-one, is a welder by trade who was furloughed and recently made redundant.

"He has shown he is capable of staying out of trouble," Mr Smith said. "He is concerned about the impact of an immediate prison sentence on his family.

"There is no doubt this incident has torn the family apart. He and his brother have not spoken since."

Groves, aged 27, of Hazel Street, Skegby, pleaded guilty to wounding shortly before his trial, after initially denying the charge.

He was sentenced to 25 months in prison, but no compensation was awarded as Groves is not in a position to pay it.

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Nancy Fielder, editor.