Mansfield drunk jailed for frenzied attack on child.

editorial image

A MANSFIELD alcoholic fractured a child’s skull in three places during a frenzied knife attack at his home, a court heard.

Steven Frogg (pictured) was looking after the child for a friend when the attack happened Easter Monday 9th April last year, Nottingham Crown Court was told today (12th June).

The 52-year-old, of Frederick Street, was around four times over the legal drink drive limit when he attacked the child, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

Prosecutor John Lloyd-Jones told the court that Frogg had brought down a knife on the child’s head five times – three so savage that they fractured the infant’s skill and broke the knife into the process.

He then used a second blade to slash the child’s neck and back, before throwing him into the street and slamming the door.

The court heard that Frogg may also have stamped on the child’s face, based on injuries to his skin.

He then went back inside his home and called an ambulance for himself, claiming he had been attacked, but called back ten minutes later to cancel it.

Frogg was told he could serve up to 16 years in jail for the attack, after changing his plea to guilty of attempted murder at a hearing on Monday.

A neighbour saw the child lying face down on the ground and raised the alarm.

Frogg was found watching children’s television in his flat wearing blood-stained clothes and with the blade and handle of a large kitchen knife lying nearby.

The attack started in the living room and then carried on down the stairs towards the front door, the court heard.

Defending, Nicholas Dean said there was no clear reason why Frogg, who had no previous convictions for violence, had carried out the attack.

But he said that Frogg had claimed that the child’s face had ‘turned into that of a demon’, when interviewed by police.

Frogg was also convinced that his house was haunted and was terrified of looking over his shoulder in case there was something behind him, Mr Dean said.

But psychiatrists found that Frogg was not insane, concluding that his paranoia was most likely caused by his excessive alcohol consumption.

Another theory heard in court was that the child may have angered Frogg by trying to play with a female cat he owned, which had just had kittens.

Judge Michael Stokes, QC, described the boy as “lovely” stating he had been left with Frogg under a degree of trust.

Speaking to Frogg, he said: “This was a ferocious and frenzied attack on a little boy. This was a child of four, bleeding as he was, screaming as he was, and you shut the door on him. Ten minutes later you called 999 claiming you had been attacked.

“The effects have been devastating, leaving markedly visible scars not to mention serious psychological damage. He is frightened of stairs, he sleepwalks, he suffers dreadful nightmares, all because of you.”

Speaking after the sentencing, detective sergeant Phil Sims said: “This was a frenzied and unthinkable attack on a very young child who thought he was safe in Frogg’s care.

“Frogg not only inflicted a series of horrific injuries on the boy, but also left him for dead on the pavement right outside his flat.

“His blatant disregard for the welfare of the youngster is completely incomprehensible.

“Despite being found in his blood-stained flat, wearing blood-stained clothes, and with the weapon lying nearby, Frogg refused to comment in interview and has given no explanation for his disturbing actions - a further torment to his victim’s family.

“Thankfully the boy survived the attack and has since recovered but he carries scars both physically and psychologically. He is young and so I hope he has little memory of the events of that day, but I have no doubt his family, those members of the public who went to his aid, and the paramedics and police officers who attended the scene, will struggle to forget what they were faced with that day.”