Man spared jail after driving like a ‘maniac’

editorial image

A CLIPSTONE has been spared jail after crashing his car while showing off to a passenger and then lying to the police about it.

Nottingham Crown Court heard last Wednesday how twenty-year-old Luke Bullman, of Third Avenue, crashed into a bank of earth on Pit Lane, Rainworth, after dimming his lights and speeding.

Jim Metcalf, prosecuting, told the court how the Clipstone man had collected his 15-year-old female passenger from a friend’s house in Mansfield on 30th January after being asked to give her a lift home but then took a detour.

Said Mr Metcalf: “(The girl) asked him to slow down and he said he knew what he was doing.”

Mr Metcalf said the impact of the collision caused the car’s airbag to activate and she was dropped off by Bullman on Rainworth Bypass from where she walked as far as the Honda garage on Southwell Road before collapsing.

She was treated in hospital for whiplash and multiple bruising and said in a police statement days later that she was still suffering from back pain and Bullman had been driving like a ‘maniac.’

The court heard how Bullman lied to police when he spoke to them later the same day to report being involved in a collision with a Vauxhall Astra in Clipstone.

But Bullman’s lies were revealed when his passenger phoned the police on the same day with the full story.

Said Mr Metcalf: “The police fairly quickly worked out what had happened but when he (Bullman) was arrested and interviewed he denied it.”

Mr Metcalf said police had to conduct a 26-hour investigation to deal with the matter.

Bullman pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and perverting the course of justice 0n 14th May.

David Horne, defending, said Bullman should be given credit for pleading guilty during his second police interview and the fact that he had no previous history of dangerous driving.

Bullman was given a nine-month prison sentence for dangerous driving and nine months for attempting to pervert the course of justice concurrently - both suspended for 12 months.

He was also ordered to complete 100 hours’ unpaid work and disqualified from driving for 12 months.

Judge Joan Butler QC said: “You behaved very foolishly - you were showing off to a young girl. The road was rarely used but you put her in danger by speeding and losing control of your car.”

She added: “What made matters worse was you tried to hoodwink the police by saying the incident had occurred in Clipstone and your car was damaged because of someone else’s fault.”

The judge also imposed a three-month 7pm-7am curfew for three months.